Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Travel Weary

Tuesday April 27, for no good reason, I cried. Cried like a baby. The only reason I can think of is that I am a bit travel weary. How did I become travel weary?

1. Yesterday I puked extensively and there were way too many possible causes; sea sick, bad food, too much alcohol, flu... who knows.

2. When I saw the bumper sticker "Stop TB Before It Starts. Don't Spit." I realized that the disgusting lugies that I've been avoiding stepping on are not just slipping hazards, but missiles of biological warfare!

3. While flying from Kathmandu to Mumbai I was surrounded by many of the stinkiest people on the planet and the stinky man next to me spilled his orange juice all over both of us. Then AT THE END of the flight, the flight attendant walked through the cabin spraying air freshener. AT THE END!!!

4. Then, flying from Mumbai to Kuwait a new stinky man sitting next to me spilled his beer on both of us. (It was more on himself than me, but still!)

5. Finally, after a marathon 22 hours of flying (including 4 separate flights through the stinkiest regions on the globe), I arrived at my hotel at 7 am where I was unceremoniously plopped down in the lobby to wait 6 hours for my room to be ready while happy vacationers ambled by pitying the bedraggled mess I'd become. (Do you think they smelled the faint stench of orange juice, beer, and BO, plus the duty free sample fragrance I'd used to counteract the damage?)

The truth is this;
I don't want to figure out how to do my laundry again.
I don't want to find a reasonable place to do internet.
I don't want to ascertain tipping practices in whichever country I'm in now.
I don't want to haggle about a ride to the hotel.
I don't want to contemplate whether the sign on my bathroom door means no paper in the toilet or no paper besides toilet paper.

But the truth is also this;
All in all, we've had a grand trip. Tomorrow I will be ready to once again tackle the daily joys, triumphs, headaches and heartaches of life on the road.

But today I cry!

1 comment:

  1. i do that sometimes, too.. but i have about 5 yrs more of it until the kids can better "take care" of themselves.. there is light at the end of your tunnel, and you will look back and be amazed by The Whole of it.. as will I.

    so, you'll be mooching this summer?? we'd love to see you.. and the kids aren't THAT bad, really. ;o)

    ReplyDelete