Saturday, May 29, 2010

Belgium, Beer, and Bathrooms

Leaving Greece, we flew to Venice. What an amazing wonderland! More like Disneyland than an actual place, truly enchanting! We spent 4 days trolling the canals by water bus, always fighting for the front seat where it feels like you have the boat to yourself!

From Venice we took the train to Belgium, by way of Milan and an overnight in Switzerland.

WARNING - BATHROOM RANT:
I paid €1 to use the toilet in the Milan Train Station. Usually I simply skip it, rather than pay to pee, but sometimes nature will not be denied. After dropping my coins in the slot, and entering the main room, I observe red and green lights on each door indicating the availability of the stall. I open the door of a green-lit stall and am screamed at by a half naked woman. OOOPS. Not my bad, but I'm still horrified. Next I find an unoccupied stall, take care of business, and guess what. NO TOILET PAPER!!! One euro and no toilet paper!
END BATHROOM RANT.

Now we are in Brussels. There is a jazz festival this weekend which is great. There are several Greek restaurants here so we are again enjoying fabulous Greek food. Belgium has 700 types of beer so that is keeping us busy, as well as the proliferation of chocolate factories. Steve is in a constant state of choco-foria. (Is that a word? If not, it should be!)

Next we take another train ride to our final destination of the trip - Amsterdam.

1 comment: